Dried or preserved flower arrangements have become one of the biggest trends this year. They're a great alternative to fresh flowers as they can last for many years if looked after well.
Let's go over the difference between the two - dried flowers are fresh flowers that have had the moisture removed through a natural dehydration process.
Preserved flowers have had the moisture in the flowers and foliage replaced with glycerine. This makes them look and feel more like fresh flowers.
Both dried and preserved flowers can be dyed to make the colours more vibrant.
There are many benefits to using dried or preserved flowers over fresh:
- They last longer (min 12 months, depending on flowers used. Preserved flowers can last up to three years and in a sealed case could last up to 10 years).
- They're low maintenance – they don’t need watering or recutting of stems.
- They're great for people with hay fever/allergies as they have no pollen.
- They're not limited by seasonal availability – most flowers and foliage will be available all year round.
- They can be infused with essential oils so they still carry a beautiful scent.
Dried and preserved flowers are low maintenance, and proper care can extend their vibrancy. Humidity is the biggest factor influencing the condition and lifespan of your dried flower arrangement.
To preserve your floral arrangement in its best condition, keep in mind these simple tips:
- Don't water them!
- Handle them very carefully – dried flowers are particularly fragile.
- Keep out of direct sunlight, wind and high humidity – avoid keeping them in the bathroom or kitchen.
- If they get dusty, use a hairdryer on the cool setting to blow the dust off.
There are many small local businesses who are now offering dried and preserved floral arrangements. We suggest jumping on Instagram so you can find the perfect arrangement for you! They also make amazing gifts for almost any occasion.
Thank you to Bek's Bloomz for her very helpful blog - https://beksbloomz.com.au/